This page has moved to a new address.

Illustrated Recipe: Raspberry Gelée

The Teardos: Illustrated Recipe: Raspberry Gelée

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Illustrated Recipe: Raspberry Gelée

Whenever I make a recipe, I'm constantly wondering if it is going well... So I thought I would share with you some of my favorite recipes (new & old) picture by picture. Obviously, nothing is perfect, and this isn't the Food Network, but here are our adventures in cooking:
Today's recipe is for raspberry gelée. I have only had these in fancy French restaurants as a little "extra" bit of dessert (usually the "extra" bit that takes you from full to catatonic.) So, when we scheduled some friends to come over for dinner the other day, I thought I would give it a go. We chose raspberry, but these can be made with any frozen berry, so it's really up to you!

Step 1. Roughly chop 2 Granny Smith apples, keeping the skins but discarding the core.



Step 2. Combine with one 12 oz. bag of frozen berries and 1/2 cup water in saucepan over medium heat.


Step 3. Cook with lid on until apples are soft.


Step 4. Purée in food processor until smooth. (This is when things start to get a bit messy.)


Step 5. Strain through a mesh sieve to remove (most) seeds.


Step 6. Combine strained mixture with 2 cups granulated sugar in clean saucepan.


Step 7. Heat on high until candy thermometer reads 218F. It will become darker and shiny (and will splatter!)


Step 8. Remove from heat and mix in 1 packet of liquid pectin. Pour into pan lined with parchment paper.


Step 9. Let sit overnight (I covered it with a little seran wrap to avoid wayward cat hair). Then, coat top and bottom with granulated sugar and cut into small cubes. Serve and enjoy!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At March 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM , Anonymous Steve Roberts said...

Hi Leslie! Looks scrumptious! Would you please send your blog updates to my regular email address, if it's possible? It's the same it's been for years: sroberts01@snet.net It was great to see you both in Bham. I was so impressed with your lovely home! Hugs, S

 
At March 11, 2013 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Steve! Done! You should receive an email confirmation of your subscription. Thanks for reading and thanks for visiting!!

 
At March 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Leslie,

This recipe looks great! I've never made a Gele'e before and this one has two of my favorite fruites so I'm excited to give it a try. Great pictures and directions as well. I look forward to seeing you on the Food Network soon.

I'm also excited that you guys are in the process of setting up your new home together! It is a big project but is also one more fun way to come closer and get to know each other.

Sincerely,

Michael

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home