This page has moved to a new address.

iPhone HDR

The Teardos: iPhone HDR

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

iPhone HDR

Hi guys! We've got some really great stuff planned for you over the next few weeks. Now that we've reached a point of general unpacked-ness...
Wait.
Stop.
Did I just say "unpacked"?
....
OH YEAH I DID!!
Can I get a little angel chorus up in here? Hallelujah. Amen.

So, now that I've gotten that out of my system...
I wanted to share with you a little fun feature I just discovered about the iPhone. All people more Apple-y knowledgeable than me can stop reading.

[crickets chirp]

So, now that I'm the only one here... Remember how I said I unearthed my camera equipment and will be taking better pictures for this lil' ol' blog? Well, wouldn't you know that I discovered a way to improve the overall quality and effect of my iPhone pictures? Naturally.
There are two little setting available under the "Options" setting: "Grid" and "HDR"
The grid helps with that "rule of thirds" theory of picture taking, which I consider rather subjective (but let's remind ourselves: I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to photography)
The HDR is the real kicker. HDR or "high dynamic range", takes three photos of differing exposure in quick succession and combines them for optimal exposure. This feature is seen most dramatically in pictures that feature both light and dark: the sun reflecting off water with deep shadows in the tree lines or even a regularly lit person standing against the glare of an open window. The HDR feature combines the best bits of it's three photos to create a "perfectly exposed" picture.
So, I'll give you one guess as to whom we asked to demonstrate this little feature. Yup, one of the cats (which I totally typed first as "fats". Freudian anyone?)
First up, the original:

Now, the HDR

Luminous, right? Here's another:


Subtle, but nice. One more? I (don't) hear you say? You got it. But like ying and yang, Cane and Abel, peanut butter and jelly, cookies and milk (anyone else getting hungry?) you can't have one without the other; here is Pandora to illustrate a final example of the HDR feature:


Has anyone else recently found a feature on a piece of technology you've been using for a long time? Any wondrous discoveries?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home