This page has moved to a new address.

Cuff 'im!

The Teardos: Cuff 'im!

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Cuff 'im!

Today we're finishing up the details of ft's birthday. For a long time, I planned on giving him a handmade bow tie (as in yesterday's post). While I was thinking it through, I got ambitious (It happens... if only occasionally) and I thought, "what if I also make matching cuff links? That would be cool!" Then began a mad search for cuff link backs, as it was already Tuesday and getting them online wasn't really an option.

I searched and searched for another option without having to purchase anything super specialized. But nope. No love. Zilch, nadda, nein. So improvise we must! Here's how I did it:

What you need:

  • Leftover interfaced fabric from bow tie
  • Needle & thread
  • Button making kit
  • 1/4 inch plain buttons

What to do:

Using the template on the back of the kit, cut two circles & assemble button. Here are the steps in pictures:

 

 

And here's a slightly overwrought illustration of the assembly:

 

 

So cool, right? So then I took my needle & thread and the small button and held them about half an inch apart, passing the thread back and forth through the fabric button and the loop of the new button.

 

Then I wrapped the thread around and around, and then secured in the middle.

 

Note to self: get a manicure

Ta da!

I should mention that cuff link blank backs are available online from many sources. Naturally, that would probably be easier but it wasn't an option this time!

 

Ta da!

Happy crafting!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home