This page has moved to a new address.

Bow Ties, Oh My! [part the first]

The Teardos: Bow Ties, Oh My! [part the first]

Monday, March 25, 2013

Bow Ties, Oh My! [part the first]

As you might have noticed (via various social media sites, and oh yeah, this blog post) that my hubby-mc-hubster celebrated a birthday last week. I love, whenever I can, to make something for him holidays. I like the process of trying to discern just the thing he would enjoy.

So this year, I decided that mah man needed a new bow tie. Oh, and while I was at it, I would make a matching pocket square and cuff links (those details come tomorrow).

This is how it went down:

Because this was going to be a one-size-only-fitting-Fred kind of tie (aka, not adjustable), I knew that I would need to make double sure that it would fit him. So, I grabbed from our closet one of his ties that I knew he has worn multiple times (and checked the others to make sure they were similarly adjusted)

To make your man (or yourself!) a bow tie:

What you need:

  • A owned & loved bow tie
  • 2 fabric "quarters" from the craft store (or half a yard)
  • Thread
  • Pattern-making fabric
  • Lightweight fusible interfacing
  • Ruler
  • Pencil
  • Iron & ironing board
  • Straight pins
  • Hand sewing needle
 

What to do:

1. Fold the tie in half and lay over the pattern making material. Trace.

2. Using a ruler, mark all the way around 5/8ths of an inch from trace mark.

 

3. At top of new measurements, and 5/8ths of an inch above fold line of original tie, mark diagonal line for bias seam. (forgive the multiple lines- this one took me a few tries to get right)

 

4. Cut out the pattern where you made the 5/8th inch markings.

 

5. Fuse the interface to the wrong side of the tie fabric, following the directions on the package.

 

 

6. Cut out 4 identical pieces, using the pattern.

 

 

7. Taking two pieces, pin them together, right side together, at a 90 degree angle so that the seam will result in even sides (see picture). Do this twice.

 

 

8. Right side facing, pin together long pieces (basically resulting in an inside out bow tie)

 

 

9. Sew together, but leave a long stretch on one side of the back un-sewn.

 

 

10. Trim sides and cut Vs at especially bendy sections (yes, that's the techical way of saying that. Har.)

 

 

11. Using the back end of the pencil, turn tie right side out.

 

 

12. Iron the un-sewn section so the pieces will fold in properly. Then, sew by hand.

 

 

13. Enjoy!

 

 

Cuff link details tomorrow. (For the pocket square, just determine what size you want and then hem.)

 

Labels:

1 Comments:

At March 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Peter Storandt said...

Beautiful! But how were you able to pull this off without assisting kitties? :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home